By Kunle Adedoyin
A fire outbreak at Ikotun, a suburb of Lagos has killed a two-year-old child and left many others injured.
The fire incident, which occurred at No 4, Ben Okonkwo Street, Off Governor’s Road, Ikotun, started Friday night in the storey building, which housed eight mini-flats. The fire, it was said got ignited by the two-year-old child.
The fire outbreak, it was learnt occurred in one of the mini flats on the top floor of the said building.
Lagos State Emergency Management Agency (LASEMA) Response Team’s investigation revealed that the fire broke out from the said apartment when a mother of three children, who reportedly lit a candle after power outage occurred in the area, left her apartment leaving behind her three children. The candle was later mishandled by the last child, which led to the inferno.
The two-year-old boy lost his life in the fire.
Meanwhile, eyewitness accounts had it that in spite of the early arrival of the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency (LASEMA) Response Team and its concerted efforts, elder brother of the dead victim still sustained minor burns, while their pregnant mother slumped.
In a bid to serve Lagos residents better, LASEMA advised residents to report disasters quicker by calling the Toll Free 767 or 112 Emergency lines on time.