Red Cross says 22,000 missing in Nigerian Boko Haram war – Independent Observers

Red Cross says 22,000 missing in Nigerian Boko Haram war

68 0

By Andy Chukwu

The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) on Thursday said about 22,000 people, mostly children, are missing as a result of the Boko Haram insurgency in northeast Nigeria.

The Red Cross, in a statement, said that the nearly 22,000 Nigerians constituted the highest number of missing persons registered with the organisation in any country.

It stated that about 60 percent of the missing people were minors at the time they went missing, meaning that thousands of parents do not know where their children are and if they are alive or dead.

The Red Cross said that some families were often separated while fleeing attacks, while others have had loved ones abducted or detained and do not know their whereabouts.

“The ICRC works with the Nigeria Red Cross and other Red Cross and Red Crescent societies in the region to trace missing people by showing photographs, calling out names and going door-to-door in camps and communities,” the statement said.

“So far, 367 cases have been solved since ICRC received its first cases in 2013, underscoring the immense challenges that come with finding missing people and reconnecting them with their families in Nigeria,” it said.

ICRC President Peter Maurer at the end of a five-day visit to Nigeria said this is a nightmare for parents involved.

 “Every parent’s worst nightmare is not knowing where their child is. This is the tragic reality for thousands of Nigerian parents, leaving them with the anguish of a constant search.

 “People have the right to know the fate of their loved ones, and more needs to be done to prevent families from being separated in the first place,” he said.

During the visit, Maurer met with Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari, senior government officials, civil society and business leaders.

He also spoke with family members affected by the conflict in the northeastern cities of Maiduguri and Monguno, many of whom have missing relatives.  

The insurgency uprising, which started in 2009 has killed more than 27,000 people, displaced some two million.

AFP

Related Post

Obono-Obla sues ICPC, shuns probe

Posted by - August 21, 2019 0
By Andy Chukwu Okoi Obono-Obla, the suspended Chairman of the Special Presidential Investigation Panel for the recovery of Public Property…

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *