By Andy Chukwu
A Federal High Court in Abuja has ordered both chambers of the National Assembly to suspend their plans of taking over the Edo State House of Assembly.
Justice Taiwo Taiwo ordered the parties in the case to maintain the status quo pending the determination of the case.
The court gave the order on Wednesday following an application by Edo Sate Government challenging a resolution of the Senate, in this regard.
On July 30, the Senate gave Godwin Obaseki, Edo governor, a one-week ultimatum to issue a fresh proclamation for Edo Assembly. The House of Representatives had earlier given a similar order.
Obaseki said he would not issue a fresh proclamation and then challenged the Senate’s order in court.
He said the action of the Senate is an “illegality that cannot stand”.
Nine lawmakers loyal to Obaseki were secretly inaugurated on June 17, without the participation of their other colleagues.