Seven now confirmed dead in Lagos boat mishap – Independent Observers

Seven now confirmed dead in Lagos boat mishap

18 0

By Kunle adedoyin

Seven people have been confirmed dead in the boat mishap on Lagos Waterway that happened on Saturday night as the Lagos State Waterways Authority (LSWA) on Monday reported that one more body had been recovered.

Mr Oluwadamilola Emmanuel, the General Manager of LSWA, who told the News Agency of Nigeria that rescue operations were still ongoing, said that 10 people were still missing, while three people survived in the boat mishap.

Emmanuel said that the authority would not relent in ensuring safety on the waterways.

He had said earlier that the boat mishap occurred mid-sea at 11.00 pm on Saturday, June 29, along Badore-Ijede Route with only three survivors.

“The agency at 11:20 p.m received a distress call that a 20-capacity unmarked passengers boat with 60″Hp engine capsised after being hit by several waves en route Egbin Jetty in Ijede, Ikorodu from a landing jetty in Badore – Ajah axis of Lagos State.

“An on the spot investigation carried out by LASWA revealed that the incident was caused by poor visibility on the part of the captain and non-wearing of life jackets by passengers,” Emmanuel said.

He said rescue efforts were being carried out by the combined operations of LASWA, Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, Lagos State Ambulance Services, Marine Unit of the Nigerian Police Force SEHMU and other relevant agencies.

(NAN)

Related Post

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *