By Andy Chukwu
Members of the Nigerian Army and suspected members of the Boko Haram sect reportedly engaged in a gun battle at Sajere ward in Maiduguri, capital of Borno state, in the wee hours of Saturday.
Residents disclosed that the battle was as a result of the security operatives’ response to an attack by the terrorists.
Bello Danbatta, an official of the State Emergency Management Agency(SEMA), also confirmed the incident to the media.
Danbatta said the insurgents targeted a mosque in the area but were overpowered by the military.
“Only one person was injured in the attack but the Boko Haram fighters were chased away. However, the worshipers scampered for safety following sporadic gun shots,” he said.
“There was tension in the area as a result of the exchange of gunfire.”
Boko Haram has renewed attacks on soft targets, raiding houses across different communities.
On May 27, the insurgents shot 11 villagers during an attack on Gundi village in Gubio, 50 kilometres from Maiduguri.
Although the government has claimed victory over the sect, Boko Haram has continued to strike in different locations across the north-east.
Last week, the sect released some videos of captured soldiers and seized military equipment.