Beckham Buys 10% of Non-league Salford City – Independent Observers

Beckham Buys 10% of Non-league Salford City

176 0

David Beckham has bought a 10 percent stake in English non-league side, Salford City. The 43-year-old former Manchester United star joined his former United teammates in the “Class of 92” as co-owners of the club.

The former teammates: Ryan Giggs, Gary Neville, Phil Neville, Paul Scholes and Nicky Butt alongside Beckham now own 60 percent of the club but Singapore businessman Peter Lim remains the largest single shareholder, with the remaining 40 percent.

“It’s a proud moment for me to join Peter Lim and the ‘Class of 92’ lads as an owner of Salford City FC,” said Beckham.

“It’s a really special club and a special group of people. My early years in Manchester were all spent in Salford. I grew up there in many ways so to be able to finally join the lads and the club today is a great feeling.”

The ‘Class of 92’ said in a statement said they wanted Beckham to be involved in the venture right from the beginning of the “incredible journey.”

“ However, circumstances and commitments didn’t allow that. Now the time is right and is another exciting time in Salford City’s history.”

Salford are third in the fifth tier of English football and promotion this year would see them reach the Football League for the first time in their history.

Beckham is also among the owners of Inter Miami CF, due to play in Major League Soccer in 2020.

The former England captain appeared in a Salford City Instagram post saying he was excited to be involved with the club, located near Manchester.

“We all have ambitions and we all have goals and you have to have big ones and reach for the sky,” said Beckham.

“Salford, it’s where I grew up really, so I’ve got such great and fond memories and when all of us are sat watching our team it’s going to be a proud moment.”

 

Related Post

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *